Friday, September 16, 2011

Friends in Far Away Places


It’s amazing to me how, so many people all over the United States, know about Valley Music Store! When word got out via a couple of articles in the papers and a spot by Larry Himmel on channel 8, That we had been ousted from our long time space on Main Street, I had messages from people all across the country from Washington State to North Carolina!
One such person is a very nice gentleman from Texas, Mr. Kenneth MacDonald.  Before we had to leave the original store, (We were given 60 days to move, but we had to take over 300! It was hard to find and build in another suitable place so quickly!) Mr. MacDonald had contacted me curious about the history of My Father and his connection to Spade Cooley and Tex Williams and about the Music Store. He had heard about the move we had to make from one of the newspaper articles online and after a pleasant conversation asked me if I would accept a small donation. He was going to send me $25.00 if I would take it. I was flabbergasted! And told him how kind the offer was! A very nice letter followed shortly thereafter, and instead of twenty five dollars, he had sent $100.00. I burst into tears… couldn’t believe it. What a wonderful thing he had done! He called again a couple of days later to make sure I had gotten it. I didn’t know what to say. I am not used to such kindnesses. And it was hard to talk through the lump in my throat. Even now, when I think of what a kind soul he is, I start to tear up! He repeated his kindness a few months later. I got another letter from him, out of the blue with another check for $100.00. The next time I spoke with him, I promised to dedicate a wall to him where I would hang the older pictures I had in the store of my Father during his beginnings in his music career. I wanted to hang pictures of him with “Texas” Jim Lewis in the mid thirties, where he got his start and with “Spade” Cooley’s Orchestra in the forties, and later with “Tex” Williams and the Western Caravan. I still plan on doing that, and will when I manage my ‘mobility’ issues!
Mr. MacDonald actually got to come to San Diego a couple of months ago to visit a friend of his. Both he and his friend came by the store and I was pleased to chat with him face to face. He brought me a sheaf of papers he had researched on his passion, country swing music. It was so very thoughtful of him to do that. I showed him around the new store, but I wish he had been able to come out when we were still in the original building! There was so much history there!!
He called me a couple of days ago to tell me his friend had passed away suddenly. I offer my deepest heartfelt sympathies to his family and to Mr. MacDonald.

No comments:

Post a Comment